Yoga Detour Training takes place one weekend per month, over 11 months.
Short breaks provided on Saturday and a scheduled 30 minute lunch on Sunday.
*Times are subject to change before January 1, 2018.
Location: Toronto, ON
Training weekends are split between Mindful Movement Centre (Scollard and Bay St.) and Branksome Hall Athletic and Wellness Centre (Mount Pleasant and Elm Ave.).
Our in-class hours will total 132 hours. Classes with our Community Affiliates will total approximately 18 hours. These classes are included in the cost of tuition and can completed anytime during the duration of your program (class passes are valid from start date of YTT through to the end of 2018).
The remaining 50 hours should be comprised of:
- 25 hours of homework and reading material
- 25 hours personal practice and accumulated meditation time (with a minimum of 5 hours dedicated to meditation) to be logged and submitted once complete
Students must attend a minimum 90% of the in-class hours to receive their certificate. Any material missed with lead instructors (Cecily and Kathryn) must be made up in order for a certificate to be granted.
We encourage you to make these weekends a top priority in your calendar. Absences will result in a lack of continuity and diminished value of your investment.
To prepare for your training, we encourage you to become familiar with the following texts prior to the start of the program:
- The New Rules of Posture - Mary Bond
- Anatomy of Movement - Blandine Calais-Germain
- Your Body, Your Yoga - Bernie Clark
- Breath by Breath - Larry Rosenberg
- Move Your DNA - Katy Bowman
THE 2018 PROGRAM DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- YD Foundations: Anatomy of Movement
- Applying Foundations: The Spine, Abdominals and Intro to Upper and Lower Body Strength & Mobility
- Mindful Strength: Lower Body
- Applying Lower Body Strength to an Integrated Asana Practice
- Sequencing, Cues and Communication
- Mindful Strength: Upper Body
- Applying Upper Body Strength to an Integrated Asana Practice: Arm Balances, Inversions and Backbends
- First Practicum
- The Science of Breath
- Trauma-Informed Approaches to Teaching Yoga
- Understanding Movement as Behaviour: Injury, Preventative Training and Rebuilding from the Inside Out
- Exploring the Stories We Tell Ourselves: Consciousness, Embodiment and Sitting Practice
- Floor Work: Movement From the Ground Up
- Discovering Stillness: Understanding the History, Philosophy and Power of Self-Exploration through Meditation and Mindfulness
- Exploring the Body's Self-Regulating Potential through Balanced Training and Practice
- Arriving at the Destination: Sequencing a Class and Second Practicum
Your final practicum will be a 60 minute class taught to the general public and evaluated by a YD Faculty Member. This practicum will take place once all other requirements have been met and received, including homework assignments.
Each month you will receive a resource package— information curated by the faculty to prepare you for the next session.
Included in each package will be a collection of articles, blog posts, podcasts, online videos and/or assigned chapters from the texts listed to the left.
Reviewing these additional resources is not mandatory; their intention is to keep momentum going between training weekends and to provide a learning continuum from one topic to the next. Plus, they're a movement geek's dream, so there's that too!